We’re having a cold spell recently… and I don’t hate it. There’s something about sweating before you even leave the house that just seems wrong. my dog is happier, I can wear better outfits to work…. it just works out better.
Now that I’m so close to a dog park for the summer, I take Sydney and walk over to the park so she can make friends and get some exercise. She is so out of shape… that makes two of us (at least cardio). I probably couldn’t run for longer than 5-10 minutes at this point, but it’s probably worth it to start. There was at least two dozen dogs in and out of the dog field, and Sydney made a bunch of new friends.
I am also ready to eat some more garden food!!! All my little herblets are growing so well, I’m so excited. We had an abundance of basil in a giant flowerpot so I wanted to make something fresh like caprese… I just didn’t have mozzarella. Use what you got, yo. I’ll put a jalapeno in anything, it’s just the best. I’m not a big fan of feta cheese, but it definitely has the right briny flavor to make this salad work with the sweet watermelon and spicy jalapeno.
Short and sweet. Enjoy this recipe!
Watermelon Salad with Feta, Basil and Mint (Keto-Friendly!)
prep time: 20 min
cook time: n/a
- 3 cups of semi-ripe watermelon, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, diced into small pieces
- 2 small English cucumbers, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1/3 cup of feta, small crumbles, plus more if desired
- 1 large jalapeno, minced, ribs seeds and stems removed
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
- Combine all fresh ingredients in a large bowl. Mix gently, so as to not bruise or break the watermelon and tomato.
- Drizzle with balsamic, adding more if desired. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
Best served right away, or brought to room temperature (to catch all the flavors!)