Crazy to think some people are bracing for more snow… I am so glad we have some warmer weather coming up, which hopefully is here to stay. Spring is soon!
…which leads me to my complaining. Did anyone else have a particularly difficult time with adjusting to the time change? I’m not sure what it was, but I am still waking up confused, and confused that it’s dark out when I’m leaving for work. It’s like I turn around when I’m home, and suddenly it’s time to go to bed. It doesn’t help that I just recently got back into Grey’s Anatomy, and now I feel like I need to watch two episodes at night and stay up even later, while feeling like I am waking up earlier. That aside, this Saturday is St. Patrick’s Day! I think I’m in the mood to cook some green things, Irish dishes… and drink beer. definitely on the agenda.
How is everyone’s March going? I hope you’re remembering to really act on your intentions and take action on what you want to see start happening. The time is now 🙂
In the meantime, why not make some pickles? These are the best addition to a good sandwich, burger, or to just eat out of a jar. You can doctor them up how you like, but this recipe is a great starting point for a basic pickle.
Easy Overnight Pickles! (Paleo, Vegan, GF… everything!)
prep time: 20 min
cook time: ~10 min
makes about 2 15 oz jar of pickles
- 6 small cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 small handful of dill, large stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp salt
- pinch of black pepper, to taste
- Place cucumbers and dill in each mason jar (or one, if you’re using a large one).
- In a saucepan, add all other ingredients and whisk together. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat, allowing to cool for a few minutes before adding to the jars.
- Once the mixture has sat for 2-3 minutes, pour over the cucumbers. Leave the top off to allow to cool almost to room temperature before refrigerating overnight.
- Optional: Add 1 tsp cayenne and 1/2 tsp chipotle powder for spicy pickles. Shake to mix thoroughly before placing in the fridge.