You know when you’ve reached “old” when you feel as though the end of year shuffle had just come on and gone, when in reality it was 12 whole months ago. Back to the same grind, having all this time off of work, thinking I won’t have any time to do anything, and ending up with all the time in the world to do everything. I’ve done a lot of shopping (I should stop), a lot of cleaning, a lot of eating… I’ve done a LOT of working out.
2017 was an interesting year. I think after the volcanic eruption that was 2016, people yearned for a change. They were electrified – ready to rip the band-aid off, ready to reach in and pull their heart out and heal what ailed them. In Chinese astrology, each zodiac year is not just associated with an animal sign, but also one of five elements: Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, or Earth. Both the zodiac sign and the element influence the astrology of the year itself. Element-sign combinations recur every 60 years. A friend of mine who is also a Feng Shui expert (check out her website here!) got me thinking, and I did a bit of research myself.
2017 was a Fire Rooster year. There was chaos… a lot of ups and downs, but nothing seemed to last too long. Rooster years are a weird but even blend of righteousness and justice, braggadocio and efficiency, back and forth. 2017 was a year to get involved in something, if not everything. A lot of change was unearthed, which in this instance is for the best. People have become more aware of their intentions, more flexible – how they can make changes for 2018 will help them advance in their awareness.
This upcoming year is the year of the Earth Dog. 2018 is the year for those who are loyal, considerate, and well-disciplined to shine. This is a strong year for financial potential by means of new business opportunities, increased cash flow, building good reputation and a high social status for the workhorse out there. You might see that there will be more social gatherings and more to celebrate. As we bring more balance into our lives, we will recognize that the tumultuous times of 2017 can be calmed with our ability to match the good with the bad, the high with the low, and the peace with the chaos.
Take some time to look up your Zodiac signs and how they correspond to 2018 – when noticing trends, be sure to keep them in your thoughts as you kick off 2018 so you can start with the right outlook, the best attitude and stay open to opportunity!
While this serves as a rough guide (be sure to check your birthdate to make sure you have the right one – it goes by the Chinese Lunar Calendar, which is a bit different than the Jan 1-Dec 31 calendar!)
Start off this new year with a tasty and simple treat 🙂
Chipotle Caesar Salad (Paleo)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 2 small garlic cloves, grated or pressed
- 1 tsp anchovy paste (found near the canned tuna in the supermarket)
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (I am a stickler for Grey Poupon)
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp adobo sauce (from canned chipotles in adobo)
- 2 egg yolks (if you are opposed to using raw egg, you can use ½ cup of Coconaise instead)
- 1/3 cup high quality organic olive oil
- 1/4 tsp finely ground Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- (optional: freshly grated parmesan for a non-paleo garnish)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, anchovy paste, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce until smooth.
- Add the egg (or mayo), salt and pepper and continue to whisk until well combined. Taste and adjust to your preference – more tang needed = more Dijon or lemon, more salt needed, or more garlic.
- Serve over some crunchy fresh romaine, alongside some Maple Ginger Salmon, or even a tasty chicken dish like Dijon Crusted Chicken!