I’ve been quite mum these last few weeks. No great reason, honestly. I’ve definitely been busy, but I think it was just dedicating the time to sit down and write something out wasn’t something I wanted to bring myself to do. The good news is — I’ve written up some really good recipes, so the next few weeks you are all in for a treat!
Sunday night was a full moon, and yesterday was the close of a very prominent Mars retrograde. Between June 26th and August 27th of this year, Mars appears to rotate backward when orbiting the sun. While these things are typically just illusions, a lot of impact can be made by this. Had you noticed that people in general were a lot more aggressive this summer? A lot more turmoil or feelings of discomfort in the air? This had been where we needed to reassess where we stood with our projects, and what we needed to move forward. Because of the appearance of a retrograde, any Mars energy, or masculine energy, is aimed inward, rather that outward — internalizing anger, fear, or heightened emotions sounds like a recipe for disaster. For some people, it was.
THE GOOD NEWS! it’s over. New beginnings. Get stuff started. Starting with this delicious salad. it’s the best of both worlds, grains and veggies. and I love it.
Quinoa Kale Salad with Almond Ginger Dressing (Gluten-Free and Vegan!)
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: ~20 min for the quinoa
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 small purple cabbage, sliced very thin
- 2 large carrots, skinned and thinly sliced (I used vegetable peeler)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized bunch of kale, rinsed, dried and chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup almond butter (you can sub another butter if you have allergies!)
- Juice from one lemon, plus zest (if needed)
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos, or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 heaping tsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp of water (at a time), to thin the dressing as needed
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- First, rinse your quinoa through a fine strainer (so it doesn’t wash away!). Place in a saucepot with 2 cups of water, chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and turn heat down and simmer until quinoa is cooked with little water left – about 15 minutes. Remove from pot and allow to cool in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, as your quinoa is cooking, add your almond butter, aminos/soy sauce, and stir until mixed. Add in the remaining dressing ingredients, and continue to stir. If you find that by adding water, your dressing has less “zest”, feel free to add some more coconut aminos or soy sauce. It should be somewhat thin like pancake batter, so as to coat your kale. Set aside about 3 tbsp of dressing for your quinoa.
- Separately, in a large bowl, for your salad, add your kale. Add in the rest of your vegetables and mix.
- Once quinoa has cooled, stir your set-aside dressing into your quinoa and mix thoroughly. Add into the kale. Pour your remaining dressing in and use tongs to mix thoroughly.
Chill in the fridge until serving.