Beef and Broccoli (Paleo, Keto-Friendly!)
Spring has sprung (for now)! Tomorrow it’s supposed to be cold and rainy, so I’m enjoying all of this while I still can.
I’ve been doing a lot more cardio, and contrary to what I’ve wanted to be true for FAR too long, the pounds are coming off. I don’t know from where, because I don’t feel that I look any skinnier, but the scale says otherwise. I think I’m losing weight from my big ol’ head. If you knew me in person, you’d likely ask why I’d even want to lose weight. I’m 5’8”, a size 4 (sz 2 in some things) and am what most would consider quite fit or thin. I’m making a personal decision to trim down so that I can see the hard work I put into weightlifting, and to feel more comfortable in my skin when I’m at the beach. So far it’s going well, but to be conscious of every little thing I eat is pretty hard. I obviously LOVE food, love to eat, love to cook, the whole nine. That said, I’m sticking to it because I want my hard work to pay off. I’ll let you know how it goes in about…. 1.5 months.
I’ve been missing for a while, and let me tell YOU! I’ve also set aside some time to cook for y’all. I do not think you’ll be disappointed. I feel like I often come back with a wacky dessert, but this has been a lot of experimenting with savory recipes. They have turned out pretty good. Another thing that recently happened is a good friend’s store opened up locally – it’s called Take Care Apothecary. Follow her on Instagram or Facebook! She’s an Ayurvedic wellness practitioner and her shop carries organic body care lines, Ayurvedic supplements, incense, books, and my personal favorite… tarot and oracle cards. I picked up a new deck and have been playing with it – it’s interesting that no matter how many times I use it, the same “message” comes through. I also got an amazing lunar astrology day planner that I LOVE. Which reminds me…. Tomorrow is a new moon!
New moons are regarded as a time to press the “reset” button. You get another chance to course-correct the things you’ve been working towards that may have gone astray. I especially like to consider this a time look over things like my eating habits, my workout habits, my sleeping habits, friends I need to pick back up with… I can look at any part of my life and start to work towards improving that. This particular moon is now in Aries. What’s this mean? The official astrological calendar begins with Aries, so it may feel like the first part of 2019 went by in a flash, and you’re now just catching your breath. Aries is ruled by Mars, the planet of physical expression and ability, assertiveness, high impact, energy… so this feels like the fire is now lit under your tush, yes? So, what are you to do with all of this potential?
During a time like this, I like to make a mantra or intention for the next few weeks until the full moon… something I’ll write down and repeat so it can govern my actions in a positive way. I’m a Libra, so perhaps I’ll focus on the balance of things within my job, relationships and other aspects of my life, and use that to move myself forward. Your new moon is what you make of it!
In the meantime, you’ll need a snack with all of this planning. Get your protein in with some paleo-friendly beef and broccoli 🙂
Beef and Broccoli (Paleo, Keto-Friendly!)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
For the beef:
- ~1 lb beef (skirt steak or sirloin is fine!)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed, divided in half
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- ghee, coconut oil, or your preferred cooking fat
- 1/4 cup of coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp of tapioca starch
- 1 large head of broccoli, broken/cut into fairly small florets (cut up the super large ones!)
- 1/8 cup coconut aminos
- dash of fish sauce, about 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
- pinch of crushed red pepper (do you love these measurements? I do)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Slice your beef into thin strips, about 1/4 inch (definitely no more than 1/2 inch thick). Mix together your 1/4 cup of coconut aminos, your 1.5 tbsp of sesame oil, tapioca starch and half of your garlic in a mixing bowl large enough to fit your beef. Add your beef, cover, and allow to marinade as you continue to prep, or up to 2 hours.
- Separately, add about 4 cups (or however much water you need to immerse your broccoli) of water to a pot — bring to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water, separately (this is relevant, I promise). Blanch your broccoli – allow to boil for 1.5-2 minutes until tender, yet still a bit crisp… it should still be bright green. with a slotted spoon, remove from the boiling water and add to your ice bath, to stop from further cooking at getting mushy. Once cooled, set aside on a plate.
- Now for the fun stuff. If you have a wok, go get it! Otherwise, a large frying pan will do. Heat your pan/wok with your preferred cooking fat over medium heat. Once brought to temperature, Add your remaining garlic and ginger. Stir until starting to cook, about 20-30 seconds.
- Now, turn the heat up a little, to medium-high. Add your marinated beef, spreading out in a single layer. Sauté until browned and starting to crisp, flipping pieces as necessary.
- Once the beef is cooked, add the ingredients for your sauce, allowing the beef to sauté in the sauce for about 1 to 1 1/2 min. Now add your broccoli, stirring and tossing to combine and coat in the sauce. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately; garnish with sesame seeds.