Picture from foodhomeandaway.com, image subject to copyright
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 15-20 min
This is the perfect staple to salads, pasta dishes, or even a snack/charcuterie tray. You can dress them up, make them spicy, the whole nine. Follow this simple “recipe” to make delicious, walnuts, pecans, or more! I always keep some on hand to throw into a recipe.
- 1.5 to 2 cups of your preferred nut (I often use roasted/unsalted pecans or walnuts)
- Egg whites from 1-2 eggs, depending on how much nuts you have
- Spices of your choice – for candied/sweeter ones, I’ll use maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc. For savory ones, I’ll use salt, garlic powder, dried herbs such as parsley, chives, thyme… whatever you want! Be very generous with seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add your egg whites and seasonings to a large bowl. Using a whisk or a mixer, briskly whip your egg whites until they are quite foamy. You don’t want merengue-style egg whites, and you definitely shouldn’t have any peaks…. Just enough elbow grease to get the eggs pretty foamy and opaque.
- Add your nuts into a large Ziploc bag or bowl, and pour in your egg whites. Stir/shake to coat thoroughly.
- Add your nuts in a single layer to your cookie sheet, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until starting to darken/crisp. Don’t be alarmed if they’re chewy when you first remove them from the oven… they will crisp up as they dry. Allow to cool.
Pingback: Mediterranean Zoodles with Garlic, Sun-dried Tomato and Toasted Walnuts (Paleo, Vegan – Feta optional!) – The Divine Kitchen