Happy Monday! Super rainy and gloomy outside, but I’m off work today so aside from going to the gym this morning, I don’t have to leave my house. Yesterday was my birthday (wahoo!) and we had a fall BBQ planned… we cancelled it due to rain. Imagine our surprise when…. It didn’t rain! Oh well – I enjoyed a fun dinner with some great friends, and got to go to bed early…. My favorite.
We had planned the party for a few weeks – the guest list grew bigger and bigger – friends, neighbors, friends of friends, stragglers who liked our neighborhood and wanted to come… more and more people RSVP’d, and I was so excited. We even planned on having the kids paint pumpkins, which quickly turned into adults wanting to paint their own pumpkins. We’d have cider and dips, pumpkin beer and other delicious snacks.
Then came the rain. I woke up yesterday, it was gloomy and wet… so we decided to cancel. Unfortunately, right as the party started, the sun even came out for a brief few minutes. Great weather, but darn it. I wish it poured – would’ve made us feel better.
For the BBQ, I had planned to make a few cute little hors d’oeuvres, none of which were made because we postponed the party. These cute little cups were delicious and would’ve been a hit. There’s always next time 🙂
Also! The cool thing about these is that the ingredients I used were pretty much 1:1 to non-vegan equivalents — if you don’t have any restrictions, regular cream cheese, mayo and parmesan can be used.
Vegan Spinach Artichoke Wonton Cups
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
Makes 14-16 servings/cups
- 14-16 vegan wonton wrappers
- 2 tsp Vegenaise
- 1 pkg frozen chopped spinach
- 1 15 oz can artichokes, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 6 oz vegan cream cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- (optional for non vegan – 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add spinach, onion and artichoke, sautéing 10-15 minutes until liquid is removed and onions are translucent and starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside to let cool.
- Meanwhile, place wonton wrappers in a greased muffin tin, shaping them to form a cup. Brush with tiny bit of olive oil to help them crisp. Bake for 8-10 minutes until starting to slightly brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- As the wonton wrappers are baking, mix your cream cheese, vegenaise and spices together with your spinach, artichoke and onion mixture, ensuring it’s mixed thoroughly. Taste and adjust additional spices as needed. (optional: if using cheese, also mix that in now).
- With a spoon, add a scoop of the spinach & artichoke mixture into each wonton wrapper. (optional – for non-vegan cups, sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese on top.)
- Bake for another 5-7 minutes, until toppings and wrapper start to brown again. Remove and let cool – these things stay molten hot for a bit.