Hello my friends.
It’s Thursday, which means it’s almost Friday, which means it’s time to party! By myself.
Mars retrograde began yesterday – just another exciting moment for 2020. We all know that when Mercury is in retrograde, things go haywire, people act weird…. But Mars is a different breed, only going retrograde about every two years. Mars is masculine energy – moving, aggressive, and intense. However, in retrograde, things just move and happen slower… and these next two months will prove to be frustrating in needing to have a lot of patience.
Speaking of moving backward, since today is Thursday – it’s a throwback Thursday! Taking this recipe back from the past. I used to work as a sub shop as a teenager, down in the boonies of Landenberg. I made homemade chicken salad, deviled eggs, sandwiches.. and broccoli salad! I loved making this, but I haven’t had it in years. I made a few minor tweaks to keep it current, and above all else… vegan! Enjoy the last bits of warm weather with this side salad for your social-distancing BBQ.
The BEST Broccoli Salad (Vegan, with options!)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: n/a
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into small, bite size florets
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ of one small red onion, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of walnut pieces
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 cup vegan mayo, such as Vegenaise
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaping tbsp of coconut sugar, or 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp celery seed
- Whisk together mayo, sugar or maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and celery seed in a small bowl. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine broccoli, walnuts, green onions, cranberries, carrots and red onion in a large serving dish.
- Toss the dressing with the rest of the salad ingredients and stir. Allow to sit for at least 30 min to an hour prior to serving to allow the dressing to absorb.